Thursday, October 3, 2013

Heroes of Cosplay

Last Thursday night was the season finale of Heroes of Cosplay. I've been putting off reviewing this show for awhile, because I didn't have much good to say about most of the people on the show, and I would like to keep this blog classy. However, once the final episode has aired, I've gained more insight to the people featured on there and so I have a much more well rounded review to give. Overall, it's a very interesting show and I learned a lot about cosplay, such as costume construction, fabrication, materials, and performing skits.

Left to Right: Yaya, Jessica, Riki, Monika

I originally thought this was going to be more like Face Off where a group of contestants would have a weekly competition where the worst cosplayer would be kicked off. This show is actually more of a docuseries where each episode revolves around a specific convention's cosplay contest. The people the show follows is a little different each week, but mostly revolves around the same ones. Yaya Han is in every episode and she is typically the judge in every competition.

There are many highs and lows to this show and many moments where I really hate the cast interspersed with moments that I love them. Almost all the outcomes to every contest are disappointing, but I think that lends to the authenticity of the show. Just because these people are on camera doesn't guarantee them a win.

If I had a more exciting life, I would probably hate this show along with everyone on it. But like I mentioned in my Fangasm article, I really have nothing better to do than watch shows about nerds because I live out in the middle of nowhere.

There are people I do respect on the show. My favorite would be Chloe Dykstra who got a very deserved win on the next to last episode for cosplaying the Mechromancer from Borderlands 2. During the beginning of the season she really advocated for cosplay to be more inclusive, saying that people of all genders, body shapes, and races should be able to cosplay anything they want. If I were Gatsby, I would tell her, "You're worth the whole damn bunch."

 

Another favorite moment of mine was in the season finale when Jinyo used Peter Mayhew to propose to his girlfriend, Victoria. Say what you will about the couple, I cried a little. Mostly because she was wearing a Star Trek uniform to a Star Wars panel.


I've always been interested in cosplay (I've even started a costume recently), but this show taught me never to do it competitively because competition sucks the fun out of everything.  I give this show a C-. If SyFy ever decides to make a second season of this show, there are a lot of improvements to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment