Monday, September 30, 2013

Fangasm - Jersey Shore for Nerds

If you know me at all, you know I don't take anything seriously. I do have a passion for geek culture but when people give geeks a bad name - I'm truthfully not bothered by it. That is why I can enjoy shows like Big Bang Theory, King of the Nerds, Heroes of Cosplay, and the new SyFy series, Fangasm, that premiered this past Tuesday.


The best way to describe this show is a Nerd Jersey Shore. Seven nerds from all across the country were chosen to live in a house in L.A. to compete for an internship for Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo. Each episode, they are given a task to complete by co-founder of Comikaze, Regina Carpinelli. When they are not working for her, the contestants have free reign to do whatever they want.

In the first episode, Regina Carpinelli puts the housemates to the task of getting the public to sign a petition to make May 25 Nerd Appreciation Day. Like I need another day of the year I can't go to the bank. Anyway, the housemates get all nerded up to roam the streets of L.A. to get people to sign a petition. They find a bar that is having a burlesque group wearing generic superhero outfits, so they decide to campaign there. Of course, we get to hear a diatribe about how this objectifies women and perpetuates the "fake geek girl" stereotype (something I promise I will never mention again).



In their free time, the housemates go to a comic book store to compete for a chance to have dinner with George Takei. Even though the contest is open to the public, one of the housemates eventually wins and ends up bringing George Takei back to the house, where everyone pretty much has a nervous meltdown.


In the end, this show is so bad, it's good, and then occasionally goes back to bad. If you live somewhere that has no nerd or gamer events at all whatsoever, then this show might fill a hole in your heart. If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere and wasn't bored out of my mind, I would absolutely skip this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment