Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Spend A Year On My Wishlist, Become My New Obsession...Towns!


I've ended up with a really awesome game on this weekend's Steam sale called Towns. The game was originally part of Steam's Project Greenlight and was developed by Xavi Canal and Ben Palgi. It was originally released about a year ago and has been on my wishlist for just as long. You take the sterotypical concept of an RPG and you flip it and reverse it.

Basically, you are the NPC. You create a town, almost in Minecraft fashion, in order to get a Hero to raid the dungeons underneath. It took me a couple days to get used to the game, especially since the tutorials are glorified text files, but it was worth it. I also spent several hours on YouTube watching tutorials.

There are still things I'm not good at, such as building anything at all and digging for dungeons, but I'm sure I'll come around soon. I have the basic economic game down and I can attract immigrants to my city, which is hard, and I can maintain up to three heroes so far. I love watching my heroes down in the dungeons. It's basically a shoutout to old school dungeon crawlers. Your hero will battle the typical monsters - spiders, slime, goblin kings.

This is the game for the kind of guy or girl who likes to work behind the scene. I really just bought this game on a whim since it was over 50% off, because I was buying Prison Architect on sale, but I've been hooked on Towns the whole time I've had it. In fact, I feel so great about this game, I might even make a walkthrough video!

No comments:

Post a Comment