Saturday, August 24, 2013

Elder Scrolls Online Subscription

I've been excited about Elder Scrolls Online for a very long time, so much so that I almost even preordered it at Gamestop. For me, that's a huge deal. I don't preorder. Ever. So why does this recent news that Bethesda is going to charge a $15 a month subscription fee got me down?



I really thought this game was the WOW killer the world has been waiting for, but I got to thinking, "What if ESO goes the way of Star Wars The Old Republic?" Star Wars is a much bigger name than Elder Scrolls with hundreds more games based off of it. Star Wars is just...huge, and the MMO for it is also a huge failure. Sure, it looked very promising and if I had a PC that could have handled it at the time, I would have bought it on the day it was released. Hell, I worked the midnight for it. Now the game is free to play and I honestly don't know anyone who plays it anymore. I don't even know of anyone that plays it.

I understand that to make this MMO really great right off the bat, there will need to be a subscription fee, especially to maintain the servers, to constantly update the game, and to keep giving us new content. I'm just really worried that the game is going to get off to a bad start because people won't want to pay for a subscription.

As a huge Elder Scrolls fan, I really hope everything works out for this MMO. I for one will at least give it a chance...for a month...

No comments:

Post a Comment